Monday, August 30

Working in the UK part deux

Another amazing day

After class at Treesmill (in Cornish it’s Tywardreath which is the name of the little village it’s in...did you know Cornish is a language? I had no idea), I walked around the village of Lostwitheal briefly and took tons of pictures. I'm fascinated by the doors! So many cool doors. Such great texture too with the stone buildings and cobblestone and walls covered in moss and ivy.
Dinner at Lisa’s home built in 1670. It was so cool to be in a space that has been lived in for over 300 years (longer than our country has been around). There were exposed beams and an adorable little wood stove (which may or may not actually burn word. Might be gas powered? The meal we had was prepared by Robert with fresh local ingredients. Really special and wonderful. Started with cheese and crackers and a delicious hand made dip, then had a rubbed local chicken with potatoes and veggies, all sauteed to perfection and melt-in your mouth delicious, topped off by a generous portion of home made gravy (more generous for some than others!) For dessert it was sauteed apples in a vanilla yogurt sauce with ginger preserves. MMM! The dinner conversation ran the gambit (gamut?) but focused heavily on teaching and learning. I wish I remembered more of it but there is just so much information going into my brain I hardly have time to sort it all out!

We stepped outside Lisa’s home to view a church built in 1228. I looked up into the sky and saw a shooting star streak across the sky in slow motion above the moon. The night was cool and it was like something out of a movie. Truly truly magical and amazing. I feel like I need to pinch myself constantly.

Today was the last day of the first session of Repousse. I didn't get my piece done, because I started to hate it and couldn't get past the "ugly phase". Holly helped get me through that and I'm actually looking forward to finishing it after taking some time away from looking at it and getting frustrated! The work the students did was really amazing and I definitely can't wait to practice the technique a bit more.


Holly helping me through the "ugly phase"

I set up this evening for the second session of Repousse, and now it's time for another English dinner. Tomorrow is a day off, and I think we're going to a castle. Need to get to bed early tonight, starting to feel a bit laggy today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoying your "journal de classe" - Mr. Smith would be proud!