Monday, September 20

Metal Clay Day

This day started off so nicely. I went for a jog in the fog, had a delicious breakfast, then took a drive up past Celie's house to an artist whose name I forget, but who has a bit of a Andy Goldsworthy thing going on (or as Barb in class called it "Andy Goldsworthy lite".) It was very peaceful. The fog kept getting thicker, and in the midst of it were stone walls and cairns, sticks and branches neatly stacked and placed, and a pond so still and reflective I almost didn't recognize it as a pond. My Zen moment didn't last too long, however, as I tend to get a little bit persnickety and snappish when in class mode.

All in all though, today was much better since we were finally working in metal clay! It seemed like a breeze after struggling with the polymer. i made a tiny boo-boo by not listening to Celie who said NOT to embellish the back of your piece, so we'll see tomorrow after the piece is fired if that did damage to the piece. That piece also has a lot more going on with it than I typically would do. Tim Gunn would have told me to "use an editing eye". I was just trying to fill up a few gaps with some decorative elements, but it may have gotten a little busy. Then again, this is the 70's wallpaper piece, so maybe more really is more.

Everyone's pieces are really coming along nicely, despite a few setbacks and breakages. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pieces out of the kiln tomorrow.

I'm beat. Time to hit the hay and rest up for the final day. Sniff. Can't believe it's almost over.

No comments: